Saturday, January 17, 2015

Canelé de Bordeaux

canelé is a small French pastry originated from Bordeaux, France where they were baked by nuns in the 18th century. It was said to be the ultimate pastry. It's what the Creme brûlée wants to be when it grows up.

I never personally tasted it before but somehow I managed to imagined its taste as I stumbled upon the article one day. The only thing I could bake was butter coffee cake and usually I don't have a clue about baking other stuffs what's more of knowing how things will turn out or taste like by just looking at the recipes and yet the imaginary taste seems to lingered in my mouth and mind for the next few days. Sounds crazy but I was craving for something that I never had before. 

So I've decided to give it a try. I used silicone cupcake mould instead of the copper mould, it was too expensive to buy for a baking noob like me.

The making of noob canelé:

Heat up 2 cups of milk with 3 tablespoon of butter and leave it aside until it's cold enough for you to dip your finger into it.

Then, mix 100 gram of plain flour with 100 
gram of icing sugar, 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolk. Slowly mix them up to avoid trapping any air bubbles into the batter. It is not supposed to expand or raise during baking. Then add in 1/4 cup of french rum and 4 teaspoon of vanilla essence along with the milk mixture just now. And that's it. Place the batter in the fridge and let it sit for at least 36-48 hours before baking. Stir it again the 36 hours. By this time, there shouldn't be much air bubbles trapped inside.

On the long anticipated day, heat the oven at 240 degree celcious for 30 minutes. Grease the moulds with butter and pour in the batter to the top. Then start baking them at 240 degree celcious for 15 minutes and turn down the heat at 190 degree celcious for 45 minutes. Try to move the tray nearer to the bottom during the last minutes as we want to have even caramelised dark bottom. Otherwise we'll end up with white ass canelé.

The verdict: I was blown away by the sweet dark caramelised outer layer. Then the wonderful rum infused custardly taste and texture has instantly won me over. It's exactly what I had imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...